Congressional Democrats were beside themselves on Tuesday after learning that the Trump administration intends to divert $3.6 billion in previously-allocated military construction funds to build the long-awaited border wall. Having done everything in their power to thwart President Trump’s signature campaign promise, Democrats are now threatening legal action to prevent the president from going around Congress’ back to get the wall built.
This week, Defense Secretary Mark Esper sent communications to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, and other congressional leaders about how the Pentagon plans to move funds away from more than 100 pre-approved construction projects so that it can be used to expand the wall. But Democrats, who are desperate to keep the illegal immigration crisis going so they can use it against this president, want to do anything they can to stop Trump from solving the problem. If that means blocking the wall by any means necessary, that is what they intend to do.
“The president is trying to usurp Congress’s exclusive power of the purse and loot vital funds from our military,” Schumer said. “It is a slap in the face to the members of the Armed Forces who serve our country that President Trump is willing to cannibalize already allocated military funding to boost his own ego and for a wall he promised Mexico would pay to build.”
A trio of Democratic senators – Dick Durbin, Patrick Leahy, and Brian Schatz – joined in the pile-on with a statement of their own.
“The President is robbing the men and women of our armed services of funds meant for critical construction projects that are necessary to serve our troops, support our allies, deter our adversaries, and care for our military families — all to build a wall that will do nothing to solve the humanitarian crisis at our Southwest border or protect the American people,” the Democrats said.
Of course, this is the same Democratic Party that has gone to the ends of the earth to make sure that NOTHING gets done to solve the immigration crisis. Hell, until they realized they could capitalize on the “kids in cages” routine, they couldn’t even bring themselves to admit there was a crisis in the first place.
The Trump administration and the Pentagon have been clear that the projects losing money to the wall are only on hold, not canceled. Indeed, if Congress is so concerned about the fate of these projects, they can vote tomorrow to allocate the additional funds that will keep them moving on schedule. Anyone want to bet on whether or not THAT vote is going to happen?
In any case, Democrats are still making it clear that when it comes to the issue of border security, they’re against it. We’ll see next year if the American public feels the same way.