Thanks to Fake News, Covington Catholic Teen is $25 Million Richer
We’re sure that if Nick Sandmann and his family could get in a time machine and travel back to last January, they would go to great lengths to make sure the Covington Catholic teen didn’t wind up serving as America’s Most Hated Person for a period of a few days.
But while there’s no time machine and no way to erase the torrents of hatred that poured in on this then-sixteen-year-old kid, a settlement from fake news brokers CNN might go a ways towards salving the wound. According to One America News, the Sandmann family may have procured a settlement of some $25 million from the network, stemming from their biased, fictional coverage of the Lincoln Memorial incident.
“CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann,” Fox 19 reported. “The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington.”
As reported there, the final settlement figure is officially unknown, and we’re sure there are clauses in place that prevent either party from revealing the number. But even if OANN is off by a few million, this is a windfall for the Sandmann family, and it will surely make CNN think twice about spreading vicious fake news in the future. Well, it would, anyway, if that didn’t constitute their entire business model…
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes,” Sandmann’s lawyer said last year. “CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, with that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.
“They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false,” he continued. “Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong. He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room.”
In an era that has brought an astonishing amount of fake news into people’s homes, the mainstream media attack on this kid was a whole ‘nother level of terrible. This was a kid whose sole sin was to wear a hat supporting President Trump and having the misfortune to be photographed with an arrogant-seeming smirk on his face. For that, the CNNs and the Washington Posts of the world tried to destroy this kid’s life.
This is the first lawsuit Sandmann and his attorneys have successfully settled. For both the good of his family and the future of our entire news industry, it will hopefully not be the last.