A Scene Straight Out of Hell Brought to You By NFL “Thugs”
You should be old enough to remember the whole Richard Sherman fiasco — at least if you were an NFL fan at some point. It was a pre-Kaepernick-kneeling moment. In fact, Kaepernick was the quarterback throwing a back-pylon throw to Michael Crabtree. Sherman swatted the ball away and it fell into the hands of his teammate (Malcolm Smith). That interception sealed the deal on a Seahawks (Sherman’s team) Super Bowl bid. A big moment in franchise history . . . but the NFL community would be buzzing about something different following the game. That buzz would spill over to non-football fans, sparking a clear division in this country.
“Don’t you open your mouth about the best”, Sherman would say with reckless bravado (referring to Crabtree) . . . “or I’m gonna shut it for you real quick.”
Richard Sherman’s postgame interview opened up a conversation that really didn’t have much to do with football. Much of America labeled him a thug — a product of his ghetto (Compton, CA) upbringing. In a press conference, Sherman would address the buzz in a completely different tone. It wasn’t the gladiator Sherman, but the straight-A-student out-of-this-world SAT score Sherman.
“It (calling someone a thug) seems like the accepted way to call somebody the n-word.” Richard Sherman
Sherman avoided gangs that ravaged Compton and instead took his stellar high school achievements to Stanford University — hardly the tale of a “thug”. This dude is a straight-up nerd. So could he just have been playing a thug on TV? That’s a fair criticism. How would you describe his actions? Was it a “first-class” act to recklessly attack his opponent, Crabtree? People get hung up on the term “class”. This is America, OK? Class isn’t caste. You can show class without being from the bourgeoisie. You don’t have to be stuck in the same tax-bracket for the rest of your life either. Believe me, these NFL players aren’t struggling financially. Recently, journeyman quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater would address the lunacy of this “gangsta” image portrayed by millionaire football players . . .
“Tired of seeing football players portray this tough guy image or pretend he’s a gangsta . . . you went to school, attended those classes and some even got their college degree. Now you might have 1.5% of professional football players that’s on (involved in real gangster activity) but the remaining 98.5% are only ‘football tough.’” Teddy Bridgewater
So who are the real thugs — in the 1.5%? The answer, once again, involves Michael Crabtree. Once again the NFL wideout was on the receiving end of “thugish” behavior. The former Texas Tech superstar was playing for the Raiders when the then Denver Bronco, Aquib Talib snatched his chain twice. I don’t blame you if you don’t keep up with hood terminology and hood politics, but “getting your chain snatched” is a sign of ultimate disrespect. It’s like someone walking into a bar and open-hand slapping you. It’s the ultimate display of emasculation. It’s the stuff that leads to endless inner-city violence.
In this case, the events led to a massive brawl. In hindsight all parties involved were fortunate. Listen to how the commentator in the video celebrates Talib’s actions. It’s quite sickening . . . especially when you consider what happened last Saturday. Talib proved he was in the 1.5% — and people like the guy commentating on the video are sweeping it under the rug. Maybe if Talib were white, ESPN would have wall-to-wall coverage of the event.
Talib, who recently became an NFL TV commentator, fielded a youth football team primed to play an exhibition game on Saturday. Following a call that Talib did not agree with, according to reports, he decided confront the official who made the call on the opposite sideline (in front of the opponents bench). His efforts did not change the call and the opposing team scored a touchdown on the very next play. Talib intensified his antics causing the referee to call the game. Here’s where the details get fuzzy. The game was over and both teams were at odds because of the whole ordeal. A father on the opposing team, Mike Hickmon, went to pick up the ball (allegedly it was his ball). It was at this point that there was an altercation. Hickmon didn’t get his chain snatched. The event didn’t end in a brawl. He was shot multiple times and killed in front of his 9-year-old son. There is a video of this moment released by WFAA (Dallas). We’d rather not show it. It shows Aquib Talib’s brother, Yaqub, drawing his gun and shooting Hickmon in front of elementary school kids. It shows an act that was hardly in self-defense. It shows precisely what hell looks like.
Update: Eye Witnesses Break Down the Scene (H/T Jason Whitlock – Blaze Media)